Monday, November 18, 2013

CHAPTER 6 Physical and Mental Abuse (25)

Chapter 6

   

   Harsh physical punishment within my family home the context of being  in the UK was considered to be the greatest privilege of my life, of which I had to fight hard to maintain.  It was repeatedly physically beaten into me by my parents  that:

  'I had no time to waste playing with other Black children at school, get educated, and make White friends,'
   That was the path to civilisation my purposes became conflicting, but real , the need to be an 'educated Englishman' and the need to return to a 'rural yard' where my formative and strongest recollections were.  
I spent much of my early years in the UK running away from home and simply living rough in open spaces, I was absent for up to three months at a time, from the age of 10.
  
I was terrorised by my estranged parents with tales of the barbaric and primitive nature of 'Africans',  of how unruly  Africans were for fighting for their independence from their  imperial masters. I watched nightly on TV the    children starving surrounded by giant flies. Their tears were my tears their suffering was my suffering. From observing the stress of my parents at work and the daily personal requirement of combing out the knots in my hair, the use of a variety of creams to lighten my skin colour, the hourly requirement to straighten my nose between forefinger and thumb and all times to be seen wearing a suit collar and tie, all became too much.  I identified with the oppressed 'African' of whom I felt more empathy with, than the  so called  free 'civilised' West-Indian Black English people  of my family and their friends.    
  He therefore has the task of integrating the following significant facets of his self;   West-Indian identity,  Black British Identity, African Identity and now mental health patient.   The need to conflate all identities into one and the belief that the process of continual development will allow him to develop holistically.

The excitement of why should I challenge the identity I was most comfortable with?
  

No comments:

Post a Comment