Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Aunt Mo. was also running (19)

Aunt Mo. was also running, as Ivan chased her, through green sugar cane fields. She dodged as she screeched with girlie satisfaction. She hid behind a closely-knit clump of tall stalks and waited. She didn't move. Her bright pretty green blouse was sufficient camouflage, she thought in her dream. It was a light touch on her shoulder by Ivan that shook her. Aunt Mo. screamed with raptures only to awaken in the same drab lonely room. 
   "Eeeeie" she screamed in a shrill high pitch whine.
   Aunt Mo. was awake in shock as her heart palpitated. The crumpled butterflies hastily jammed the tiny gap at the window to merge on to their flight path.
   "Where these sin-tings come from," she inquired as she brushed them from her hair and clothes. The bugs tumbled and yet pursued on their convoy. Where is that Leroy .....?”    It was from a life of suffering that he
had learned how to survive. In Leroy’s mind he was a political revolutionary equal to the greats Rosa Parkes, Marcus Garvey, Salman Rushdie, and President Idi Amin.
   “You say I can’t sit on your bus, well I’ll be dammed watch me, “and she did. 
   Marcus Garvey: “You are going to exclude us as equal citizens in your empire. Well I’ll build my own empire... watch,” and it was built. Salman Rusdie, I will offend whomsoever I please.
   Martin Luther King: We shall not be treated inferior as second class citizens, what’s more I have a dream that one day we shall walk through the garden of peace...” and he did.
   Leroy Marriott: “You would to kill me because of my black skin then here you are in all its glory come and take it,” and he bared it all to his pursuers. Leroy could see the revolutionary connection in his daring. He
was satisfied with his achievements. He had won the battle but alas he had lost his freedom he was captured by the enemy. The psychiatric reports were decisive Leroy Marriot was ill and to be detained in a hospital for the criminally insane. 
   Aunt Mo. had that same repeated dream since Ivan had died, the police had told her. It was his last night out and like Leroy he never did tell her where he was going.

No comments:

Post a Comment