The
cockroaches appeared one by one. They appeared to be gliding above the floor
their movements were fluid. The light brown creatures with searching feelers
were unrelenting in their own plans. The cell was their universe, their world
to go and do as they pleased. The warders or inmates of the prison were of no
concern to the Rose view cockroaches.
It
was October “Black History Month” The “funny
Gang” had all demanded posters and books and a ghetto blaster to play their
black music. They used the posters to cover the windows in the recreation room where
they had hoarded their cache of escape equipment patiently gathered over the
months and years.
“Oi professor Streaky!” shouted one of the guards. “What you up today?”
“Today we are
discussing the forth coming Black History month,” replied Leroy.
“They are so
anti-social,” muttered the
guard to his colleague.
“Yes quite
difficult, replied the other.”
“Often dangerous
if you ask me. Have you noticed that it is the mostly Africans and West Indians
we have in here,” said the other
guard.
“They all appear
the same to me, black and aggressive,”
responded the other.
“Well that may be so, but if you check out
the admissions record, I think you will find that most of them are from the
West Indies. Do you think the whole West Indies are mad then?” The guard asked.
“They more than
likely are all mad to come here and clean up after us,” Replied the guard.
“The problem
with this lot in here is that they are all schizophrenic I heard the doctor say,”
The
guards Intellectualised from overheard conversations between the doctors.
“These lot in
here they all have an attitude, domestic and menial work is far too good for
them, isn't that right Professor Streaky,” the guard taunted Leroy. Leroy ignored them. The
warders were not particularly concerned about the inmates despite their
category. The inmates were seen as loonies an easy meal ticket to be despised
and treated indifferently at best and totally ignored. To the guards these
inmates were only aggressive when confronted other than that they were
perceived as no danger other than to themselves. Like the general population of
Black people these were no different they lacked motivation and were lazy they
wanted everything done for them.
“Welcome to the ‘Rose
View Poetry Recital and Concert’.”
There were hoots and cheers.
“I don’t like the
way people stare at me when I’m shopping Just because I have got no hair.
I feel bad when I go to parties and folk tease me
with:
“Where’s the rhythm in your bones Mr. Jones.
“I have got
another one and its better than the first.” He continued................

No comments:
Post a Comment